2011年9月20日星期二

第七章 我如何成為素食者 9

Shravasti Dhammika, To EAT OR NOT TO EAT MEAT: A BUDDHIST REFLECTION

Chapter 7 How I became a vegetarian

9. Since that time I have cut my meat consumption by at least 95%. The force of long established habit, circumstance or just the desire for a juicy steak accounting for the other 5%. So my decision to become vegetarian was brought about by three things - a gradual awareness of the need for active and engaged (as opposed to passive) metta in the Buddhist life, by an incident of visceral revulsion with meat, and then by the reasoning of a philosopher helping me see the implications in the Buddha’s words that I had not seen before. I could not honestly say that I am grateful to that Cambodian man with his putrefying chickens, but I am most grateful to Peter Singer.

達爾卡法師 著   伍煥炤 譯 :《吃肉還是不吃肉:佛教的反思》

第七章   我如何成為素食者

9.  由這時候開始,我減低了至少百份之九十五的肉食量,餘下的百份之五是由於長期建立的習慣、環境或只是對一塊多汁牛排的慾望。因此,我成為素食者的決定是由三樣東西促成的 — 漸漸領悟到佛教生活需要積極實踐慈心 (與被動的相反)、一次出自本能對肉類嫌惡的事件,以及一位哲學家的論證幫助我領悟到佛陀說話的意義,這是我以往沒有認識到的。我實在不能說要感謝那位賣腐壞雞隻的柬埔寨男人,但我真的非常感激彼得.辛格。

* 歡迎轉載,但請註明出處和不改動譯文內容。

沒有留言:

發佈留言